For golf lovers there's no better place on earth than Myrtle Beach–or more appropriately, the Carolinas' "Grand Strand." The 60+ mile stretch between southeastern North Carolina and Georgetown, South Carolina, with the Sun-Fun City of Myrtle Beach at the center, offers 100+ golf courses designed for every kind of golfer. The Grand Strand is a golfer's paradise and one of the top golf destinations in the world–it's no wonder it's the undisputed "Golf Capital of the World." Whether you prefer plenty of relaxation, rejuvenation and white sandy beaches to stroll in the evening, or a variety of activities for nongolfing partners or family members, Myrtle Beach is the ideal getaway or vacation destination for all who love golf.
Golf Courses From the fabulous new courses designed by Pete Dye, Tom Fazio, Davis Love III and Greg Norman at Barefoot Resort, to the magnificent Tournament Players Club (TPC), to older but national-award-winning courses such as Tidewater and The Dunes Golf and Beach Club, to other challenging tracks and those better suited to higher handicaps, the Grand Strand's world-class courses are guaranteed to test your mettle and your metals.
Golf Schools Whether you're just getting started learning the game or a scratch golfer looking to shave even one more stroke...there's a golf school in Myrtle Beach to fit your needs. Several national schools have locations in Myrtle Beach, while others are locally owned, but all offer certified professional instruction. Several of the schools offer special youth golf programs in the summer. Make your next trip to Myrtle Beach a "learning" vacation.
Family Entertainment Entertainment abounds for all ages in Myrtle Beach. Take the kids to Family Kingdom, an amusement park featuring the legendary wooden roller coaster, the Swamp Fox; or to The Pavilion, with the new-this-year thrilling Hurricane roller coaster. If you want to get drenched, there's Myrtle Waves Water Park and Wild Water and Wheels. And there's fun and challenge for anyone at least 40" tall at the NASCAR SpeedPark.
More to Do! The sandy beaches are some of the widest in the world, and while the waves can't hold a candle to Hawaii, there is some surfin' goin' on. Rent a sailboat, take a fishing charter, or enjoy relaxing surf or pier fishing. The Grand Strand hosts the longest pier on the East Coast at Apache Campgrounds in North Myrtle Beach. If you like professional baseball, you can catch a game at the new stadium which hosts the Atlanta Braves Class-A team, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. And a little culture is good for everyone. The accomplished Myrtle Beach Symphony has several productions each year, and a visit to Myrtle Beach is not complete without a visit to the famed Brookgreen Gardens, home of the largest outdoor sculpture exhibit in the world.
Courtesy Golflinktravel.comWhat To Bring Choosing what to bring to Myrtle Beach depends on when you make the visit. In the warmer months, shorts are appropriate on and off the course as well as at most dining establishments. Also, warmer month usually means they'll be some added humidity, which for those of you familiar with it, means more airborne insects in the air. Be sure to bring not only sun protection, but insect repellent as well. It's a lifesaver. Light sweaters and pants are fine for cooler months. Bring an umbrella all year round.
As for your clubs, it never hurts to carry an extra putter in your bag (but remove it if you're playing in serious competition.) Myrtle Beach has several inland courses as well as coastal courses, with greens that vary in shape, size and most importantly–speed. We recommend a putter you feel comfortable with on slower greens and another for fast, slick greens. Also, be sure to stock plenty of balls. Water hazards are very popular at courses throughout the area. _Ê_Ê_Ê _Ê _Ê_Ê_Ê
When To Go Myrtle Beach is an all-year-round golf vacation resort, with the most precipitation occurring during the summer months when the heat index is highest. If you don't mind the cooler weather, there are some good deals to be had during the winter. The biggest crowds typically appearing during the warmer months.
Average Temps_Ê High/Low, _¡F January_Ê 57_¡/51_¡ February_Ê 60_¡/52_¡ March_Ê 66_¡/57_¡ April_Ê 75_¡/62_¡ May_Ê 82_¡/69_¡ June_Ê 87_¡/77_¡ July_Ê 90_¡/81_¡ August_Ê 89_¡/83_¡ September_Ê 84_¡/80_¡ October_Ê 76_¡/73_¡ November_Ê 68_¡/65_¡ December_Ê 59_¡/55_¡
Myrtle Beach Golf Holiday www.golfholiday.com
Myrtle Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau www.myrtlebeachinfo.comWhere To Play _ÊGT Selects _Ê Barefoot Resort The new Davis Love III design holds up against Barefoot's other notable course designs by Norman, Fazio and Dye. Love Course Par 72, 7175 yards (Davis Love)
Norman Course Par 72, 7034 yards (73.9/136) (Greg Norman)
Dye Course Par 72, 7343 yards (75.3/149) (Pete Dye)
Fazio Course Par 71, 6834 yards (73.7/139) (Tom Fazio)
(877) BFRESORT www.barefootliving.com Legends Resort One of the finest course trios in the Carolinas. Heathlands Course Par 72, 6785 yards (72.3/127) (Tom Doak)
Moorland Course Par 72, 6799 yards (73.1/128) (P.B. Dye)
Parklands Course Par 72, 7170 yards (74.9/137) (Legends Group)
(800) 299-6187 www.legendsgolf.com _Ê Caledonia Golf and Fish Club Majestically designed and manicured to perfectly harmonize with the natural environment. Par 70, 6526 yards (70.9/132) (Mike Strantz)
(800) 483-6800 www.fishclub.com Grande Dunes Resort Course The exquisite beauty of Grande Dunes is matched only by its challenging length. Par 72, 7613 yards (77.3/142) (Roger Rulewich)
(877) 3-GRAND www.grandedunes.com Myrtle Beach National_â–King's North Arguably the most fun-to-play course in Myrtle Beach Par 72, 7117 yards (72.6/136) (Arnold Palmer)
(800) 344-5590 www.mbn.com Blackmoor Risk-reward opportunities are plentiful here. Par 72, 6614 yards (71.1/126) (Gary Player)
(800) 650-5555 www.blackmoor.com Myrtlewood Golf Club 36 holes of brilliant strategy and stunning visuals. Pinehills - Par 72, 6640 yards (72.0/130) (Arthur Hills) Palmetto - Par 72, 6953 yards (72.7/135) (Edmund Ault)
(800) 283-3633 www.myrtlewoodgolf.com Ocean Ridge Plantation The Big Cats are among the most exciting courses in Myrtle Beach. Lion's Paw Par 72, 7003 yards (74.6/138) (William Byrd)
Panther's Run Par 72, 7072 (74.8/142) (Tim Cate)
Tiger's Eye Par 72, 7,014 yards (73.5/144) (Tim Cate)
(800) 233-1801 www.lionspaw.com
GT Selects (cont.)_Ê Pine Lakes International Myrtle Beach's first golf course still ranks among the best. Par 72, 6609 yards (72.0/130) (Robert White)
(800) 446-6817 www.pinelakes.com True Blue Once an indigo and rice plantation, True Blue is among the most beautiful and challenging courses on the Grand Strand. Par 71, 6891 yards (74.3/145) (Mike Strantz)
(888) 483-6800 www.fishclub.com Myrtle Beach Must-Plays _Ê Aberdeen Country Club Three beautiful nines designed to please novices and skilled players alike. Meadows Nine holes, 3306 yards
Highlands Nine holes, 3420 yards
Woodlands Nine holes, 3445 yards (Tom Jackson)
(800) TEE-TIME www.mbn.com Black Bear Golf Club Wide fairways instill confidence for the meek and forgiveness for the bold. Par 72, 6787 yards (72.9/137) (Tom Jackson)
(800) TEE-TIME www.mbn.com Burning Ridge Golf Club Gene Hamm's 36 hole masterpiece is both exciting and enticing at the same time. West Course Par 72, 6714 yards (71.8/122)
East Course Par 72, 6780 yards (72.8/128) (Gene Hamm)
(800) TEE-OFFS www.classicgolfgroup.com The Dunes Golf & Beach Club Recent renovations have made all the difference. Par 72, 7165 yards (75.4/141) (Robert Trent Jones, Sr.) (Rees Jones redesign)
(843) 449-5914 www.dunesgolfandbeachclub.com Farmstead Golf Links The home of Myrtle Beach's only par-6 hole. Par 72, 7242 yards (74.5/135) (William Byrd & Dave Johnson)
(888) 287-PLAY www.farmsteadgolflinks.com Indian Wells Golf Club Shotmaking holds center stage on every hole at Indian Wells. Par 72, 6624 yards (72.6/136) (Gene Hamm)
(800) TEE-OFFS www.classicgolfgroup.com
_ÊMust-Plays (cont.) _Ê International Club The International is one of the most thrilling courses in the area. Par 72, 6857 yards (72.8/131) (William Byrd)
(800) TEE-OFFS www.classicgolfgroup.com Ocean Ridge Plantation_â–Lion's Paw Widely considered to be William Byrd's finest design. Par 72, 7003 yards (74.6/138) (William Byrd)
(800) 233-1801 www.big-cats.com _Ê Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort Mature and refined, yet updated for a memorable experience. Par 72, 6752 yards (72.6/130) (William Byrd)
(800) 344-5590 www.litchfieldbeach.com Long Bay Golf Club Nicklaus at his best and most rewarding. Par 72, 7021 yards (74.3/137) (Jack Nicklaus)
(800) TEE-TIME www.mbn.com _Ê Man O'War Explosive character and thrilling challenges abound. Par 72, 6967 yards (72.4/130) (Dan Maples)
(843) 236-8000 www.manowargolfcourse.com Pawley's Plantation A true country club-for-a-day experience. Par 72, 7026 yards (75.3/146) (Jack Nicklaus)
(800) 367-9959 www.pawleysplantation.com _Ê River Club Watch for water on 15 of 18 holes. Par 72, 6677 yards (72.2/125) (Tom Jackson)
(800) 237-8755 www.mbn.com Prestwick Golf Club Country club elegance at one of the area's finest tracks. Par 72, 7058 yards (74.5/140) (Pete Dye)
(800) 250-1767 www.prestwickcountryclub.com
Must-Plays (cont.) _Ê Sea Trail Resort and Golf Links Three of the best courses in Myrtle Beach right next to one another. Byrd Course - Par 72, 6751 yards (72.4/129) (William Byrd) Maples Course - Par 72, 6761 yards (72.4/132) (Dan Maples) Jones Course - Par 72, 6750 yards (72.1/128) (Rees Jones)
(888) 229-5747 www.seatrail.com The Surf Club Where old school meets new school. Par 72, 6842 yards (George Cobb)
(800) 765-7873 www.surfgolf.com _Ê Tidewater Golf Club & Plantation Amazing views and a rollicking test of golf among 18 spectacular holes. Par 72, 7078 yards (74.8/144) (Ken Tomlinson)
(800) 446-5363 www.tide-water.com TPC of Myrtle Beach With 70+ bunkers and a host of other obstacles, this course is the kind touring professionals love to devour. Par 72, 6950 yards (74.0/145) (Tom Fazio)
(888) 742-8721 www.tpc-mb.com Wildwing Plantation Endless options for even the most discerning players. Avocet - Par 72, 7127 yards (74.2/128) (Jeff Brauer/Larry Nelson) Falcon - Par 72, 7082 yards (74.4/134) (Rees Jones) Hummingbird - Par 72, 6853 yards (73.6/135) (William Byrd) Wood Stork - Par 72, 7044 yards (73.6/130) (William Byrd)
(800) 736-9464 www.wildwing.com Waterway Hills Golf Club Tranquil on the outside, but as challenging as any RTJ course gets. Ravine Nine holes, 3149 yards
Lakes Nine holes, 3190 yards
Oaks Nine holes, 3217 yards
(800) TEE-TIME www.mbn.com Willbrook Plantation One of the best courses for men and women to play together in all of Myrtle Beach. Par 72, 6704 yards (71.8/127) (Dan Maples)
(800) TEE-TIME www.mbn.com The Witch A magical golf journey for all skill levels. Par 71, 6704 (71.2/133) (Dan Maples)
(843) 448-1300 www.witchgolf.com _Ê World Tour Golf Links Recreated masterpieces from across the globe. North 9 - Par 36, 3325 yards South 9 - Par 36, 3419 yards West 9 - Par 36, 3300 yards
(877) 377-7773 www.worldtourmb.com _Ê _Ê
Myrtle Beach has a near endless supply of accommodations well-suited for the discerning golfer, large groups, small groups and everything in between. Here are a few favorites:
_Ê Where To Stay _Ê _Ê AMBASSADOR GOLF & BEACH RESORTS Multiple Locations (800) 882-0684 www.ambassadorgolf.com BAREFOOT RESORT North Myrtle Beach (888) 996-4100 www.barefootliving.com CONDOTELS Golf Colony Lane, North Myrtle Beach (800) 637-4177 www.condotels.com GRANDE SHORES RESORT 201 77th Avenue, North Myrtle Beach KINGSTON PLANTATION Multiple Locations (800) HILTONS and (800) EMBASSY www.kingstonplantation.com_Ê LEGENDS RESORT 1500 Legends Dr., Myrtle Beach (800) 530-1875 www.legendsgolf.com LITCHFIELD BEACH & GOLF RESORT 5200 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach (800) 648-3539 www.litchfieldbeach.com MYRTLE BEACH MARRIOTT AT GRANDE DUNES 8400 Costa Verde Drive (843) 449-8880 www.marriott.com MYRTLE BEACH TRIPS Multiple Locations www.myrtlebeachtrips.com OCEAN RESORTS Multiple Locations www.oceanresorts.com PATRICIA GRAND RESORT HOTEL 2710 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach (800) 255-4763 www.patricia.com PAWLEYS PLANTATION GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB 70 Tanglewood Dr., Pawleys Island (800) 367-9959 www.pawleysplantation.com SANDS RESORTS Multiple Locations (800) 726-3783 www.sandsresorts.com SEA TRAIL RESORT & GOLF LINKS 211 Clubhouse Rd., Sunset Beach (888) 229-5747 www.seatrail.com WYNDHAM MYRTLE BEACH RESORT 10000 Beach Club Dr., Myrtle Beach (800) WYNDHAM www.wyndham.com
_Ê For more lodging options, visit www.golflinktravel.com and peruse the Myrtle Beach section.
_Ê Where To Learn _Ê _Ê ARCADIAN CLASSIC GOLF SCHOOL 701 Wyndham Way, Myrtle Beach 800-449-5217 BRYAN VAN DER RIET GOLF ACADEMY Highway 17 South, Myrtle Beach 800-328-3742 CLASSIC SWING GOLF SCHOOL Highway 17 South, Myrtle Beach 800-827-2656