CLUBS TO USE
- Lob wedge (58 or 60 degree)
- Sand wedge (54 or 56 degree)
- Gap wedge (50 or 52)
USE THE BOUNCE
The key to hitting bunker shots is to use the bounce of the club. The bounce is simply the high point of the sole (Photo 1) that aids the club resistance to digging (Photo 2).
SET-UP AND GRIP
There are differences in set-up and grip from full swing shots from the tee or the fairway.
Set-Up And Execution Fundamentals
To set up in a greenside bunker, move the ball forward in the stance. This will aid the shoulders to aim to the left and create an out-to-in path.
- Shaft plane at address is in line with the ball to maintain the loft of the face.
- Move your head to position your nose and spine in line with the center of the ball.
- Lower body weight should be 70 per cent on the lead foot, with your knees wide, feet flared out and lead knee flexed more than the trail knee.