All publications at Werner Publishing are produced using computer-to-plate technology. Please submit advertising material in one of the digital file formats listed below. Werner Publishing cannot accept responsibility for reproduction errors with ads submitted as application files or ads that do not adhere to SWOP standards. See www.swop.org.
Advertising File Specifications
PDF/X-1a FILES RECOMMENDED
- All furnished PDF files should comply with PDF/X-1a specifications (detailed at www.pdf-x.com).
- The PDF version should be either 1.3 or 1.4.
- All high-resolution images and fonts must be included when the PDF/X-1a file is saved.
- Images must be SWOP (CMYK or Grayscale), TIFF or EPS with effective resolution not less than 225 dpi. No RGB or JPEG images. Do not nest EPS file into other EPS files. Do not embed ICC Profiles within images.
- Fonts can be Type 1, Open Type or True Type fonts. Multiple Master fonts are not recommended.
- Do not menu-style your fonts.
- Total area density should not exceed SWOP 300%.
- Do not submit CT/LW, TIFF-IT or DCS files embedded in a PDF "wrappper."
- Ensure that all image, art, tint and type elements are set to knock out or overprint as desired.
- The ad should be right-reading, in portrait mode, at 100% size and no rotations.
- Exporting a PDF from InDesign (CS) is not recommended due to Identity-H font encoding. DO NOT export as PDF from Quark (5 or 6). Instead write to a postscript file from the native application and distill into a PDF using Adobe Acrobat Distiller using the correct job options.
- It is recommended that the PDF file be certified PDF/X-1a using a PDF preflight utility.
- PDF certification utilities included:
- Adobe Acrobat Professional version 6 and 7
- Apago Check Up
- Enfocus Instant PDF
- Enfocus Pitstop
Color Proofs, Live Area and Bleed Requirements:
- A contract proof should accompany all ad file submissions. Contract proofs must be made according to SWOP standards including color bars. Proofs not meeting SWOP criteria will be used for color break only. See www.swop.org.
- Ads should be built to the final trim size of the publication with .125" bleed and .1875" trim margin for non-bleed elements.
- Include standard trim, bleed and center marks in all separations, 1/2" outside trim (no marks included in the "live" image area).
- Bleed covers and body units are an additional 10%. No charge for gutter bleed only. Oversized material that requires bleed handling will be charged the bleed premium.
|MECHANICAL REQUIREMENTS |
|Trim Size |
Contract & Copy Regulations
- Advertisers that have already established a reputable credit rating with Werner Publishing Corp will be extended WPC's normal terms and conditions. New accounts must prepay by check or credit card or may apply for credit by requesting a credit application from the Credit Department. Please contact Keanna Sheu at 310.820.1500 x 119 (
- Advertisers who, within a 12-month period from the date of first insertion of their contract, fail to run the number of insertions upon which their billings have been based will be short-rate billed at the next highest rate actually earned.
- All rates are subject to change upon notice from the publisher. Please consult your advertising representative for rate protection policy.
- All orders are non-cancellable after space closing date of each issue.
- Covers and gatefolds are non-cancellable after 30 days prior to closing date.
- All verbal instructions regarding contracts or insertions must be confirmed in writing.
- Key codes are not guaranteed. No rebate is allowed for errors due to insertion of an incorrect key code.
- Publisher cannot guarantee position or placement of advertisement against backed-up coupons.
- Rates are based on matched four-color process; PMS colors are 20% extra. Special metallic inks on request; contact publisher for specific rates. Group-buy discounts may not apply for special colors. Matched colors are an additional charge.
- Advertisements received by advertising production department after material closing dates will not be entitled to revision.
- Advertiser and its agency assume liability for all contents (including text and illustrations) of advertisement printed and shall indemnify publisher against any damages arising from publication of advertisement.
- Advertising placed by an agency or the advertising department or wholly owned division of a company becomes the credit responsibility of that agency and/or company. Advertiser and its agency shall be held jointly and severally liable for monies due to publisher for advertising published in magazine.
- Publisher reserves the right to refuse any advertising it deems not in keeping with the policies of the publication, or that does not meet its publication standards.
- We assume that the advertiser and its agency have read these terms and agree to these conditions without any further contract or notice. Publisher will not be bound by conditions, printed or otherwise, on contracts, insertion orders or instructions when such conditions conflict with the above terms and conditions.
Commissions & Discounts
- Agency Discounts: 15% discount is allowed to recognized advertising agencies (except for ProShop, Gift Guides, Training Aid Buyer's Guides, Golf School & Travel Directories and Classified ads). Net amount is due 30 days from invoice date. Carrying charge is 1% per month for invoices unpaid after 30 days. All orders are accepted subject to publisher’s credit requirements.
- Frequency Discounts: Frequency discounts are earned by accumulating a total number of ads placed within a 12-month period by the same advertiser. To qualify, single or multiple ads must be at least one-third the equivalent space of the largest ad in the schedule.
- Consecutive Issue Discounts: An additional frequency discount will be given to advertisers who run qualifying units in consecutive issues.