3 Days In Las Vegas
Day 2: Relax
Aliante Golf Club is one of Gary Panks’ most serene and fun-to-play layouts.
Since yesterday was a long day with all the playing and practicing you did at Angel Park, you might want to sleep in and have breakfast in bed. A leisurely 20-minute drive to North Las Vegas takes you to Aliante Golf Club, a Gary Panks design that has been transformed from rolling desert terrain into a neatly contoured finished product. The 7,022-yard, par-72 has numerous landscape features, generous landing areas and trees not normally found in desert regions, like pear and purple locust.
Panks thinks of Aliante as a “strong challenge that incorporates all the best design elements found in outstanding golf courses,” and we bet most golfers will agree. One of those design elements includes an arroyo, or dry river bed, that weaves its way into one of Panks’ most serene and fun-to-play layouts.
That arroyo, and the course’s strategically placed bunkers, routinely gobbles up errant shots. Another great feature for many who play Aliante is its community setting, making it the perfect place to settle down. The 1,905-acre community being developed in the City of North Las Vegas plans to include 7,500 homes and hopes to grow to a population of about 20,000. It’s the proverbial “If I lived here I’d be home by now” scenario. But seeing that this is your three days in Vegas, you don’t live here…yet.
After your round, head into the Aliante Grill for some great food (they even have a “low-carb” menu for those of you watching your weight). Catch up on the latest sports scores with their scrolling sports ticker and eight—count 'em—eight flatscreen TVs surrounding the bar.
Par-72, 7,022 Yards,
Rating/Slope: 72.8 / 133
Contact: (702) 399-4888, www.aliantegolf.com
1. The Spa Bellagio: 55,000 square feet of pure relaxation. www.bellagio.com
2. Spa Mandalay: This place has everything, including an 11-acre beach outside. www.mandalaybay.com.
3. MGM Grand Spa: Don’t miss the coffee body scrub. Perky! www.mgmgrand.com
4. Spa Vito Di Lago: If it’s at the Ritz-Carlton, you know it’s first class. www.lakelasvegas.com
5. Canyon Ranch Spa Club: Spa treatments gone high-tech. www.venetian.com
1. Grand Canyon Yeah, we know it’s 300 miles away, but it’s the Grand Canyon! (800) 959-9164
2. Hoover Dam Just 30 miles southeast of Vegas, this mammoth drain-stopper took five years to build. (702) 494-2517
3. Las Vegas Art Museum Featuring works by some of the world’s most cutting-edge artists. (702) 360-8000
4. Death Valley National Park The hottest and driest national park in the U.S. (760) 786-3200
5. ATV Action Tours Whitewater rafting and ATV quad excursions to satisfy the adventurer in you. (888) 288-5200
Page 2 of 3